Plex EPG Problems

Plex is supposed to fix my TV recording problems, Microsoft’s Windows Media Center was great, but it is no longer supported (at least on Windows 7)

But once and a while the EPG fails

EPG To Be Announced

Not sure why, but it does.

To be fair Windows MCE failed the EPG once and a while as well. I subscribed to schedule direct for $25/year to keep MCE up to date.

When this EPG issued happened to my plex though, it was a little disappointing.

So I figured out how to download the EPG via schedules direct as an XML file to import in to plex.

The NUX dextop repo had xmltv rpms so I tried it out

sudo yum install xmltv perl-LWP-Protocol-https

Ran tv_grab_na_dd –configure and used my creds, but it failed.

The version I had was old xmltv-0.5.65 current version is 0.6.1

I edited the tv_grab_na_dd file which was a perl scsript and edited the fetch data section

Fetch data
sub SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::get_basic_credentials
return "$dd_user" => "$local_pass";
my $dd_service=''; $dd_service='' if $opt_beta_data; my $proxy='http://localhost/'; if (exists $ENV{HTTP_PROXY}) { $proxy=$ENV{HTTP_PROXY}; }

Unfortunately, a tcpdump still showed it still downloading cleartext

So I decided to install from source

sudo yum -y install perl-devel perl-DateTime perl-XML-Twig perl-XML-Writer perl-XML-LibXML perl-SOAP-Lite perl-LWP-Protocol-https
git clone
cd xmltv/
perl Makefile.PL
make test
sudo make install

And it was much better.

tv_grab_na_dd --configure

Now to wrap it in a bash script and cron it.

Weight: 316.6

This entry was posted in New Toys, Technical, Training, Weigh In. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.